Sunday, July 15, 2007

My Best Part of Today

At the end of each day, our family gathers to pray together and share with each other “the best part of the day.” I’d like to share my best of today with you.

Today is my birthday. This year, instead of waiting for others to wish me a happy birthday and hoping my family will plan some kind of celebration, I decided to make my own fun and plan my celebrations. So I invited my teenage daughters to get up early and make one of my favorite baked treats, tea scones, with me for Sunday breakfast; I invited our “lunch bunch” group of friends from church to join us at our favorite Mexican restaurant; and I made cupcakes to share with the children in our preschool and children’s church program.

As I walked into the preschool class and explained that it was my birthday and I wanted them to celebrate with me, one little boy spontaneously broke into song:

“Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday . . .” he interrupted himself, “What’s your name?”

I love the spontaneity and openness of children. That little boy didn’t care who heard him. He had no inhibition about breaking out in song for a celebration. He also wasn’t shy about admitting he didn’t know my name. So many times, I don’t recognize or remember someone and I use all kinds of methods to finagle their name out of them without admitting I don’t know. I wish I could just be like that little kid. “What’s your name?” I wish I wasn’t so bound by self pride. There’s a certain kind of freedom to humility. Humility is admitting I don’t have it altogether. I’m not perfect but I’m doing the best I can and I’m in there pitching. As soon as I said my name, that little guy started all over again, singing my name with an extra ounce of robust energy. It made my day. In fact, it was a wonderful day.

I wonder how I could develop that same level of spontaneity, candidness and fervor in my relationship with my Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

Crystal Laine said...

Happy (Late) Birthday, Karen!I love this story.

I can't believe I missed your birthday! (It's that kind of month. Phew.) But I loved your description of your day. What a nice gift.

May God bless you with moments like this for the rest of your life! (P.S. I love scones. Yum!)

Love, Cris