Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It's a New Year

Have you ever watched two children having an argument? You want to step in and settle the fight for them, but before you get a chance, the two kids are back playing together as if nothing happened!

Watching that scene always humbles me. I think of how, as adults, weall too often carry grievances into the next day, the next year, never letting them go. Would that we could become like those kids who so easily forget the sharp words spoken only moments before.

I’m so thankful our heavenly Father purposely has a short term memory when it comes to my failings. No matter what I’ve done to Him today, His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:23). If I repent of my wrong doing and recommit myself to trying again, He gives me a clean slate. Every morning. Another chance to try again. Because of His compassion for us, we are not consumed by His just wrath – like we deserve (Lamentations 3:22).

As you look toward the new year, look at the children in your life, the people in your life, for that matter, who have rubbed you the wrong way. Follow in Jesus’ footsteps, by giving them the gift of compassion. Give them a second chance to be the best they can be. Even as your Heavenly Father lifts you up and gives you new mercies every morning, extend your hand down to those in your life who need a touch of His grace. When you show the children in your life that you believe in them, they will be better equipped to believe in themselves.

Like Paul in Philippians 3:13,14, let’s forget what was behind and strain forward to what is ahead, pushing forward - and helping others push forward - to receive the prize of eternal life.

No comments: