Monday, February 25, 2008

Thanks, Dr. D.

Today I mailed a big package to my major professor in Christian Education from the Cincinnati Christian University, formerly the Cincinnati Christian Seminary. In the box were three manuals of curriculum I wrote for the Salvation Army. I wanted to share with her the work I had created.

It was more than merely a "See what I've done moment." As I composed my letter of introduction to her, telling her about the process of writing the curriculum, a host of fond memories flooded over me. There was so much of me embedded in the pages of that curriculum, but there was equally so much of her entertwined into the lessons. She taught me to know the children I taught, to consider the characteristics of their age level, to start where they are and lead them to where they need to be. She taught me the importance of balancing bible content with life application in my teaching. She taught me that everyone has different learning styles and that's important to include activities that will meet the various learning needs and styles of my learners.

So, as I sent her my box, my letter told her how grateful I was that she taught me well enough for me to be able to produce the curriculum contained in that box. She was fulfilling Paul's command to Timothy: "And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualfied to teach others (2 Timothy 2:2)."

Dr. D., thanks for entrusting to me the tools to teach other faithful ones. I hope as you open that box and peruse the pages of this curriculum, you will find me a reliable teacher.

Next time, I'll finish my discussion about selecting bibles for kids.

No comments: